Mazda Lites Zebra Car (Zebra) IMSA Weekend

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #1743 by Brian Hoysa
Dean's right in many ways our job has changed, the days are getting longer and longer, and it is harder to recruit and retain marshals. I recall talking with a worker from Road Atlanta, around a Mosport campfire (... so it must have been years ago) He was saying the same thing was happening there. What they did, is divided the day in two. Workers could work a morning shift till lunch, or an afternoon shift after lunch, or if you we so inclined both morning and afternoon. He said it helped get people out, and kept workers involved.
I think it may be something that should/could be considered by our club.
The following user(s) said Thank You: William White

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #1744 by bobby®
There are a number of approaches..... The first item we need to identify is the root cause

Are people not coming because they have other things they are interested in ?
- what are the younger generations interested in ?
- what will get them involved in motor racing as a marshal, flagger ?
- who can encourage them to join ?
- where do we find them ?

In the past our biggest draw of recruits was the Toronto Auto Show..... one stop shopping. Similar approach to what Apple did in 1984, one commercial to gather all of their initial adopters. Once the word got around the rest was easy.

How do we make marshaling like Pokemon GO !?!?!?!

How do we retain the current crop ?
A question that has been tough to answer since I joined. There will always be turnover, but how do we keep the keepers ?

I still think there is a way to get people more involved, even if it is a 15 - 30 minute gathering just to talk about people's days.

Our job might have changed a bit, at Mosport, when Roger is the Clerk, but once you travel outside of Mosport the same skills are required.We have a whole generation of F/C folks that are not comfortable or know how to do proper safety, on track retrieval / actions. People want to be blue flaggers, yet they do not know all the intricacies of the primary response tasks a blue flagger needs to be able to execute. At Mosport, on your own most of the time.

We are training phone ops, everyone should learn the procedures that go on the track for sure. When I was trained the one message I still retain today is "listen". Ignore who is talking, but, listen to the message. Using key words is becoming to be a lost art. There is no need for diatribes when reporting a call. At Mosport we need to be told that at 9 or 10 we need to call any car that is being observed. That should be automatic ! In order to accomplish that task everyone needs to be diligent and really listen.

My biggest pet peave...... our captains do not do a proper briefing, set expectations from your crew, it really does not matter how experienced they are. being a captain is people management, rotate them around, give them a different perspective, get them on the phones even if it is during the down time. Spend lots of time with the QE, tell your experienced folks to teach the QE's. Learn from each other !

Now that I did my own diatribe, I have a suggestion. After every event, try to chat with at least 3 fellow marshals, new preferably, listen to their story, get to know them.

We play a game that is both dangerous but extremely FUN. We spend long hours with these folks, yet we do not even know who they are. Would you trust your life with someone you do not know ????

"I only came to see fast cars go by...."
bobby®
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard Dobbs, William White

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #1751 by William White
We still , do track walks. respond to vehicles etc. on regional, VRRA, VARAC, and CSBK races. It's only 3 races a year at CTMP we don't.

The idea of giving lob book days to people who vol. for the recruiting booth is a great idea.

As far as working half days, I think that's a great Idea, but you should only get a half day credit for your logbook. You can't compare what the volunteers are doing for recruiting, and the people are doing the schools to a half day on the track. There will be many logistical problems, as people would not be able to be assigned to 5c and 6 for half days. You will have rely on those that are replacing people for the afternoon shifts, are going to be there. I believe if you don't show up once, you lose the privilege of being able to do this again (unless a death in the family etc.), even then more than once you become a liability.

I also would like to be able to go see the cars and drivers too. On Sun. I was in 9 and went to the washroom in the pits and checked out the cars when we were down, before the race. Anyone from 1, 2, 7, 8, and 10 could've done the same thing, and some did.

Maybe we could also have a group of marshalls, in reserve on race weekends (especially the pro weekends) to release marshalls for an hour or two, during the day, so this could happen.

That's my Loonies worth, you know inflation these days.

Keep the rubber side down

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #1752 by bobby®
I got it......

Put a Pokemon GYM and lots of Pokemon in Mosport (CTMP) !!!!

:woohoo:

bobby®

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #1755 by Kathy Koczekan
re: discussions at end of day. How about we purchase somewhere to SIT DOWN at the chalet, like some picnic tables or benches, and put them in the shade beside the building. Marshals have done enough standing all day and sitting in the noisy hot chalet is not too pleasant. Invite them to have a cold one (water) from the fridge. Too bad we can't have beer, that's been a real socializing tool at Montreal at the end of day. Probably not an option in Ontario. :(

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #1756 by bobby®
No need to purchase, we all have things to sit on, just need to start the trend. Kathy you and I can chat and hopefully it will grow ;)

It used to be available in Ontario (Molson Indy :silly: ), although the ruling has been reversed years ago, the Brown bottles have not made it's return to the Big Track.

Again we start the trend of BYOB. :P

bobby®

Time to create page: 0.275 seconds
Tuesday the 11th.